Early return Sockeye is showing up in decent catchable numbers below the weir. There are still plenty of Steelheads left in the system, but most are now kelts heading back to the salt.
Water levels are up to today, as they were fairly low and water was crystal clear. Rain storms last night and today have the river on a sharp rise and the remaining steelhead will more than likely push further down in the system.
The early Sockeye are in great shape and full of fight. The rising water and high tides this week will continue to bring in good numbers of Sockeye and probably a few more stragglers from the Steelhead pool. The next 2 weeks will be great fishing for anyone looking to get on the water and have the river to themselves.
Freshwater fishing in Yakutat, on the Situk River, offers a variety of fish species at varying times a year. Understanding this may change the time of year you choose to book your trip with us to The Yakutat Lodge.
If you are wanting to catch steelhead trout we suggest booking during April or May, or September through November. We offer fly, drift or spin fishing gear to best suit your preference and ability.
The Situk River hosts the largest wild-stock Steelhead population in Alaska. It hosts runs of all species of salmon including King, Sockeye, Pinks, and Silvers from June – October, in the 16 to 22-pound range. There is nothing like the peaceful and tranquil experience one has while fishing the clear beautiful waters of the Situk River, and how quickly that feeling shifts to the natural high when you hook that giant Salmon!
If you are interested in fishing for dolly warden char consider coming to Yakutat anytime of the season. They are always around, more common then the other species.
Through and through, anytime from May-November is a great time to be fishing in the Situk River and staying in the comfort of The Yakutat Lodge. With our recent upgrades to the lodge and our fishing fleet, if you are a repeat client or it’s your first experience, it will be a most enjoyable one.
For more information or to book your next trip to join the Alaskan Fishing Team call 1-800-YAKUTAT or (907) 784-3232. You can also e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org any questions.
The Yakutat Lodge is sponsoring the Sportsman’s News Outdoor Writing Contest in 2017. Contestants will be submitting publications throughout 2017 for the chance to win a five-night guided fishing excursion at the newly updated Yakutat Lodge in Alaska. The winner will be joining a team from Sportsmen’s News for an all-expense paid experience of a lifetime.
The Yakutat Lodge looks forward to reading and featuring monthly publications of each finalist on their social media streams. We are complete supporters of sharing the different scopes of outdoor adventure and experience.
Grand Prize Package
• One lucky winner will be chosen to join the Sportsman’s News Team on a 5 night and 4 full guide days, plus 2, ½ days guided fishing trips for Steelhead at The Yakutat Lodge in Yakutat, Alaska. The trip will take place during the summer of 2018 and with prime fishing dates. The winner will be responsible for airfare to and from Alaska as well as lodging and meals while en route.
• Contest will run from January 1st, 2017 through December 31, 2017, with up to 2 stories selected each month and published in the Sportsman’s News printed and/or digital publication. One grand prize winner will be selected from those whose stories have been published during the contest period. The winner is randomly selected through a drawing basis and will be notified via e-mail.
• Every published entry will receive a knife from Outdoor Edge and will be entered into the grand prize drawing.
• E-mail stories and photos to email@example.com.
• Stories should be between 900 and 1500 words and be sent as an MS Word document or pasted into an e-mail.
• Photos should be high-resolution JPG’s, TIF’s or PDF’s: if you have any questions regarding photos call (435)865-1680.
• Stories without photos will not be considered for publication or contest entry.
All stories may be edited for content and size. Published articles and photos become property of Sportsman’s News. All prizes are provided by Sportsman’s News Inc. Must be 18 years of age to win the grand prize.
All entries must include author name, address and phone number to be considered for publication. Sportsman’s News will not confirm receipt of entries.
World Class Fishing At Its Finest~ The Yakutat Lodge Alaska